Friday, June 17, 2011

Classic Film Stars in the Movies of Today

Musique - Hooray for Hollywood by Doris Day

Remaking classic movies with current actors is nothing new, but what if we could go into the past and pluck out classic film actors to star in some of our favorite current movies?  Here are the stars I'd pick to be in the following movies:

Twilight
Edward Cullen - Rudolph Valentino
The most handsome actor of the 1920s playing the most handsome vampire that ever lived?  It's a natural!  He's oh-so-good at those brooding stares and how can anyone help but fall in love with him?
Bella Swan - Ann Dvorak
Ann has that wide eyed innocence necessary to Bella.  Plus, I can totally picture her mastering Bella's shyness and insecurities, but becoming stronger as the story line progresses.  Maybe you can't see Scarface's sister living in Forks, but I can!


Inglourious Basterds
Lt. Aldo Raine - Clark Gable
I can just see Clark Gable taking the Nazis to task and being adorable at the same time.  I definitely would like to hear him do something like Brad Pitt did with Raine's manner of speaking.
Shosanna - Bette Davis
As soon as I started thinking about who would make a good Shosanna, this picture of Bette Davis popped into my mind.  She could definitely play the cool and calculating, revenge-driven daughter who sacrifices everything to kill the heads of the Nazi government that massacred her family.
Bridget von Hammersmark - Marlene Dietrich
Okay, so this was an obvious one.  Who hasn't drawn comparisons between Bridget and Marlene?  I also toyed with other obvious choices, such as Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman, but I felt that Bridget should be played by a German, like she was by Diane Kruger.  And sometimes, isn't the obvious choice the right choice?
Col. Hans Landa - Conrad Veidt
Another obvious choice, given that Conrad Veidt very frequently played Nazis (most famously in Casablanca).  I figure, why not give him another chance to excel at what he does, and give him some funny parts too.  After all, he said he enjoyed playing Nazis because it showed the world how evil they were (he didn't particularly care for them after he and his Jewish wife had to flee Germany in 1933).


Sex and the City
Carrie Bradshaw - Barbara Stanwyk
I think Barbara Stanwyck is the perfect choice to play someone so secure yet insecure - someone who's strong and witty and professional, yet someone who screws up in love so many, many times and still bounces back.  She's a sassy one, that Miss Stanwyck!
Charlotte York - Debbie Reynolds
Charlotte is definitely the most sugar and spice of the SATC girls, but perhaps you're thinking Debbie Reynolds is a little too sugar and spice for the role.  I think she's an obvious choice for the girly, preppy Charlotte and I also think she'd do admirably at the racier scenes.  Sometimes actresses just have to break out of their molds.
Samantha Jones - Miriam Hopkins
If you've ever seen her seduction of Dr. Jekyll in 1931's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you might know why I'd pick Miriam Hopkins for Samantha.  Her acting can be a bit over the top sometimes, just like Kim Cattrall plays Samantha, and she's sexy, sly, and sweet at the same time.
Miranda Hobbes - Glenda Farrell
Glenda Farrell is a sarcastic, fast talker in many of her movies, so that's why I think she'd be perfect for Miranda.  Her characters are usually smart, sassy, and have a wicked sense of humor - just like Miranda.  With a red wig, she'd be the ultimate Ms Hobbes.


The Hangover
Phil - Paul Newman
Phil is someone who's hot and he knows it, which is why Paul Newman would be glorious as Phil.  Okay, so maybe I don't picture Paul Newman as being narcissistic, but he is hot and ridiculously so.  I think he could get across Phil's confidence and camaraderie with the other guys in the wolf pack admirably.  Plus, he also has those beautiful blue eyes like Bradley Cooper.
Stu - Jimmy Stewart
Okay, so Jimmy's not nearly as goofy as Ed Helms, but I think he can play a goof pretty well - and a drunk goof at that.  I think he would be hilarious in this role - especially when combined with the other actors I picked.
Alan - Cary Grant
For some reason, when I first started thinking about who would make a good Alan, Cary Grant just popped in my head.  Perhaps it's because I know how funny he can be and because I long to see him in a huge beard, carting around a baby and talking about one man wolf packs.  I think the combination of Alan's lines and wardrobe with Cary's voice and comedic delivery would be hilarious!

No comments: