Monday, May 6, 2013

Gatsby's American Dream

Musique - "Why We Fight" by Gatsby's American Dream

As I've said before, I don't plan to see The Great Gatsby in the theaters. The soundtrack is the most horrifying and blasphemous thing about the movie to me, but also the switching of Daisy's and Jordan's hair colors is offensive (Carey Mulligan is an adorable brunette), and finally, as has been recently pointed out to me, the anachronistic fashions. I had forgotten that although it was published in 1925, The Great Gatsby was set in 1922, and women's fashions at that time were very different from those featured in the movie (although the movie fashions are what most people think about when they think about the 20s).

But last night, I had a dream that I did go see The Great Gatsby in the theater. And there was no horrible modern day soundtrack (except for very brief periods when a character was introduced to the screen) Because of this, I was able to enjoy the movie. :)

In my dream, there was also an added character of a truck driver played by John Turturro who had it in for Gatsby and at one point there is a vicious beating scene between the two that was more reminiscent of a Scorsese movie than a Luhrmann one. For some reason in my dream, I didn't get mad at this liberty taken with one of my favorite books.

In any case, the dream showed me that perhaps I can be less aggro in my disapproval of this movie and maybe I don't need to take myself so seriously. Sure, it wasn't done the way I want it to be done, but maybe I can suspend my judgments until I see it. Not that I'm sold on seeing it in the theater yet, but we'll see. One good thing coming out of this movie is the plethora of 20s inspired fashions that are coming out and will continue to come out this year. I will definitely be grateful for those for years to come because even after the "fad" passes, I'll still be rocking them. :)

No comments: