Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Classic Movie Heaven

Musique - Cheek to Cheek by Fred Astaire

Oh my!  I'm in classic movie heaven!!  In 2006, I remember reading online that the Academy was going to screen the original 1927 version of Chicago somewhere in California.  Being a Washington resident with not enough means to get to California for said screening, I was a bit bummed - but hopeful that they'd soon put the movie on DVD.


The whole reason I got into the 1920s back in 2005 was because of the 2002 version of Chicago.  I was planning on being a flapper for Halloween (I had the perfect hair for it, which is the basis for many of my costume choices, such as Cleopatra and Snow White).  I didn't want one of those ridiculous all-fringe dresses - I didn't know much about the 20s at that time, but I knew that I'd never seen a picture of a woman from the 20s in anything like those dresses.  So I bought a pattern for a dress that was based off of the dresses worn in Chicago and my mom and I sewed it together.  I bought the movie Chicago so that I could better get into character (I never half-ass a Halloween costume) and I fell in love with it.  I instantly became obsessed with the 20s and started watching silent movies and really soaking up all the information I could find on this decade.


I also bought the original play Chicago by Maurine Dallas Watkins, which came with the articles she had written for the Chicago Tribune about the real life murderesses that influenced the characters in her play.  I fell in love with this book too.  I was hooked on the 20s for life!  And yes, of course, I've seen the musical when it came to Seattle (not my favorite interpretation of this story & what's with the costumes?!) and the movie Roxie Hart with Ginger Rogers (not my favorite either - what's w/ her hair?!).  I was so excited to hopefully one day see the original 1927 movie version.

Recently, I discovered that they finally did put the original movie on DVD.  I happened upon this information by accident while reading a blog post on Tart Deco, where Steph talked about something being an extra on the restored 1927 Chicago.  I nearly died of happiness.  How had I not known that this had come about?!  I just bought it last Friday—and when I came home from work last night, it was sitting there on my doorstep!!  I am so excited to watch it!!


My other awesome classic movie purchase yesterday was this gem I found at Best Buy.  Seriously - 50 movies for only $14.99.  Usually these collections are full of crap, but this one has some amazing movies - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (the 1920 version w/ John Barrymore!), Nosferatu, a couple of Lon Chaney classics - Hunchback of Notre Dame and Phantom of the Opera, Metropolis (!), and lots more.  I am in Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff/Vincent Price heaven!!  I haven't seen most of these movies and I'm super pumped to see Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth (I bet he's way better than Will Smith or Charlton Heston) and all of the Bela Lugosi flicks I haven't seen yet.  I am so set for Halloween this year - I can watch a different horror movie every day!!

No comments: