Monday, April 8, 2013

Celebrating Annette Funicello

Musique - "I Love You" by Annette Funicello
I was very saddened this morning to hear of Annette Funicello's passing today. However, I'm sure living with MS was very hard and so it's probably the very best thing for her to have passed. So, I won't be sad about it. But I will pout. Because I will miss her. She was such an inspiration and such a talent and such a beauty. Her movies and music are classic and I hope will be enjoyed for centuries to come.
I first fell in love with Annette when I saw Babes in Toyland as a young girl. I thought she was so pretty and perfect and wanted to be just like her. We also had the Disney channel growing up, so I was able to watch re-runs of The Mickey Mouse Club. I remember that we named one of our kittens after her.
My favorite Annette movie of all time is Back to the Beach. It's just so hilarious and such a product of its time. Nothing quite brings the 80s to life like this movie. It has an amazing cast and so many great musical numbers. My sister and I constantly quote this movie—it's one of our favorites of all time.
In 1992, I was sad to hear about Annette having MS, but after reading her autobiography, A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story, I knew I didn't have to feel sorry for her. She was a very strong, positive, loving person who was just as wholesome and wonderful as her persona. She might have a debilitating disease, but she wasn't going to bemoan her fate—she was going to think positive and enjoy her life. Many of her values are so in tune with my own.
This quote about Annette's passing seriously makes me tear up:

"Annette was and always will be a cherished member of the Disney family, synonymous with the word Mousketeer, and a true Disney Legend. She will forever hold a place in our hearts as one of Walt Disney's brightest stars, delighting an entire generation of baby boomers with her jubilant personality and endless talent. Annette was well known for being as beautiful inside as she was on the outside, and she faced her physical challenges with dignity, bravery and grace. All of us at Disney join with family, friends, and fans around the world in celebrating her extraordinary life."
- Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company
To celebrate a couple of my favorite Annette moments, here she is in Babes in Toyland singing "I Can't Do the Sum" and in Back to the Beach performing "Jamaica Ska" with Fishbone:



No comments: